Posting picture files
Gary Roach
2016-05-01 01:20:01 UTC
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or send
anything other than plain text files. This leaves me with a problem if I
wish to post a screen shot. I have been told that debian has a paste
bin. Does anyone know the url for that bin.

Gary R
Gene Heskett
2016-05-01 03:30:01 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or send
anything other than plain text files. This leaves me with a problem if
I wish to post a screen shot. I have been told that debian has a paste
bin. Does anyone know the url for that bin.
Gary R
<http://paste.debian.net/>

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Vincent Lefevre
2016-05-02 10:20:02 UTC
Or better: https://paste.debian.net/
--
Vincent Lefèvre <***@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
Gene Heskett
2016-05-02 14:10:03 UTC
Post by Vincent Lefevre
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or
send anything other than plain text files. This leaves me with a
problem if I wish to post a screen shot. I have been told that
debian has a paste bin. Does anyone know the url for that bin.
Gary R
<http://paste.debian.net/>
Or better: https://paste.debian.net/
Working from 81 yo & rusty wet ram. :( Thank you for the correction.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Lisi Reisz
2016-05-02 14:20:02 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Vincent Lefevre
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or
send anything other than plain text files. This leaves me with a
problem if I wish to post a screen shot. I have been told that
debian has a paste bin. Does anyone know the url for that bin.
Gary R
<http://paste.debian.net/>
Or better: https://paste.debian.net/
Working from 81 yo & rusty wet ram. :( Thank you for the correction.
But using common sense and attaching is much more likely to be useful. (See
Brian's email.) I make considerable use of the archives, as do many people.
Some threads are useless without the attachments, and paste bin entries don't
survive. Most of us check spam folders before making a fuss about missing
mail, so this particular case of Gary's attachment would be unlikely to help
future generations.

AOL always was bad about blocking harmless mail. Many eons ago I was with
AOL, as was my ex-husband, when my granddaughter got seriously ill in Japan.
My son was sending out bulletins by email. They were reaching neither of her
blood grandparents - because AOL was blocking ALL mail from the Far East!!!!!
And in those days we couldn't get at the spam folders.

Lisi
Gary Roach
2016-05-02 23:40:02 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Vincent Lefevre
Post by Gene Heskett
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or
send anything other than plain text files. This leaves me with a
problem if I wish to post a screen shot. I have been told that
debian has a paste bin. Does anyone know the url for that bin.
Gary R
<http://paste.debian.net/>
Or better: https://paste.debian.net/
Working from 81 yo & rusty wet ram. :( Thank you for the correction.
Cheers, Gene Heskett
You know, I just looked at http://paste.debian,net. The site seems to be
more for pasting code snippets than anything else. While there is
nothing wrong with this, I don't see why they don't just paste the code
directly into their email message. That said, the site didn't seem to be
set up very well for pictures. At least that is my first impression.
Wouldn't be the first time that that was wrong though.

This dial up thing is a pain. I just found an article from CNN that
there are still 2.1 million aol customers using dial up connection.
($20/mo.). Someone needs to figure out a way to handle this without
penalizing the rest of us.

Gary R.

Gary R.
Ralph Sanchez
2016-05-02 23:50:01 UTC
On the subject of Dialup, and this is me speaking for just me, but I'd
rather have to walk five blocks everytime I need internet then spend
20 a month on dial up :/ I guess a lot of those 2.1 million customers
probably live in very rural areas where maybe other forms aren't
available, or the cost to lay wire would be more then they have. My
thinking is, we have GPS that works nearly (ok maybe not) everywhere
you'd go and want internet, so why hasn't some billionaire or
multi-billion or trillion dollar company decided to provide a wifi
type service in the same way?? I'd think if my galaxy s6 can beam
receive, beam back and re-receive data from 3 different sources at the
same time fast enough to have a mildly reliable map of where I am, how
fast i'm going and traffic conditions we could access the web at the
same speed or faster. Totally off topic, sorry....
Post by Gary Roach
Post by Gene Heskett
Gary R.
John Hasler
2016-05-03 00:10:01 UTC
I guess a lot of those 2.1 million customers probably live in very
rural areas where maybe other forms aren't available, or the cost to
lay wire would be more then they have. My thinking is, we have GPS
that works nearly (ok maybe not) everywhere you'd go and want
internet, so why hasn't some billionaire or multi-billion or trillion
dollar company decided to provide a wifi type service in the same way?
GPS requires many orders of magnitude less bandwidth than does Internet
service. There is satellite Internet service and some people in remote
areas use it. However the present version has serious drawbacks. Elon
Musk plans to change that.
--
John Hasler
***@newsguy.com
Elmwood, WI USA
Dan Ritter
2016-05-03 14:40:01 UTC
Post by John Hasler
I guess a lot of those 2.1 million customers probably live in very
rural areas where maybe other forms aren't available, or the cost to
lay wire would be more then they have. My thinking is, we have GPS
that works nearly (ok maybe not) everywhere you'd go and want
internet, so why hasn't some billionaire or multi-billion or trillion
dollar company decided to provide a wifi type service in the same way?
GPS requires many orders of magnitude less bandwidth than does Internet
service. There is satellite Internet service and some people in remote
areas use it. However the present version has serious drawbacks. Elon
Musk plans to change that.
In particular, GPS is a one way service. Point your receiver at
the sky, let it see several satellite's radio beacons. Each
beacon emits a short pulse train encoding the satellite's
position and a very accurate timestamp. Your receiver does the
math and now knows where it is and what the time is.

The total bandwidth from a satellite is just over 1 megabit per
second. If it had to be shared among various receivers, it would
be completely overwhelmed by demand. But as a broadcast signal,
it is very effective.

-dsr-
Lisi Reisz
2016-05-03 00:10:02 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
Someone needs to figure out a way to handle this without
penalizing the rest of us.
"The rest of us" don't have any desire to send pictures and are not being
penalised.

Lisi
Gary Roach
2016-05-03 03:20:01 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Gary Roach
Someone needs to figure out a way to handle this without
penalizing the rest of us.
"The rest of us" don't have any desire to send pictures and are not being
penalised.
Lisi
I wouldn't send pictures either except someone asked for a screen shot
to solve my original problem. Sometimes the old "A picture is worth a
thousand words" is true. Of course the picture may take up a thousand
times the band width.

I still haven't found a solution for the disappearance of all of my
desktop icons. They are replaced with little transparent squares. They
still work though.

Gary R
Lisi Reisz
2016-05-03 09:10:01 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
I still haven't found a solution for the disappearance of all of my
desktop icons. They are replaced with little transparent squares. They
still work though.
This problem got lost. I should start a new thread and explain it clearly,
starting with: what version of what DE are you using? What happened
immediately before the icons disappeared?

Lisi
h***@runbox.com
2016-05-03 14:00:02 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
I still haven't found a solution for the disappearance of all of my
desktop icons. They are replaced with little transparent squares. They
still work though.
Try to change the theme you are using and/or install some new themes.
and/or install a different desktop (eg gnome, kde, mate)

H.
Gary Roach
2016-05-03 19:50:02 UTC
Post by h***@runbox.com
Post by Gary Roach
I still haven't found a solution for the disappearance of all of my
desktop icons. They are replaced with little transparent squares. They
still work though.
Try to change the theme you are using and/or install some new themes.
and/or install a different desktop (eg gnome, kde, mate)
H.
You know, I thought I had tried switching themes with out success. I
just tried it again and the Oxygen theme cleared up the problem. That
fixes the problem that started this whole mess but says nothing about
the posting problems.

I seem to struck a nerve somewhere. I think that the discussion on
attachments, file sizes and rejected email practices has been of some
value in itself.

Thank you everyone for your participation.

Gary R.
c***@slingshot.co.nz
2016-05-10 18:40:02 UTC
You know, I thought I had tried switching themes with out success. I just
tried it again and the Oxygen theme cleared up the problem.
So this is the solution to a problem in another thread? :/
--
The media's the most powerful entity on earth.
They have the power to make the innocent guilty
-- Malcolm X
Felix Miata
2016-05-03 03:50:02 UTC
... Someone needs to figure out a way to handle this without
penalizing the rest of us.
Penalizing is the emailing of unsolicited binary attachments to hundreds or
thousands of mailing list subscribers. This list's subscribers can see in the
list posting rules that binary attachments are not to be expected unless of
nominal size, thus can feel safe their disk space won't be wasted, and
internet bandwidth won't be wasted, on things a select few have interest in
or will be opening. It's little different than the waste that is HTML
email[1], burdened with formatting that is magnitudes larger than the size of
the text required to actually convey the message. Just a few clicking on a
link to open a web-hosted image or other large size object is by far the
lesser burden.

[1] http://fm.no-ip.com/Inet/htmlemail.html

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
Brian
2016-05-03 11:10:02 UTC
Post by Felix Miata
... Someone needs to figure out a way to handle this without
penalizing the rest of us.
Penalizing is the emailing of unsolicited binary attachments to hundreds or
Subscribers to a Debian mailing list have solicited everything which is
sent to it and which Listmaster allows to be distributed. If what they
receive is not to their liking and they cannot persuade Listmaster to
adopt their proposals, they can unsubscribe.
Post by Felix Miata
thousands of mailing list subscribers. This list's subscribers can see in
the list posting rules that binary attachments are not to be expected unless
of nominal size, thus can feel safe their disk space won't be wasted, and
Avoid sending large attachments.

is the advice:

Nothing about "binary". Nothing about "nominal".

The OP tried to send an attachent of undisclosed size. It failed to be
distributed and he did not get a reason in a mail. Both events have been
explained to him and an alternative avenue suggested.
Post by Felix Miata
internet bandwidth won't be wasted, on things a select few have interest in
or will be opening. It's little different than the waste that is HTML
Subscribing to a list means taking the rough with the smooth.
--
Brian.
Wasting bandwidth since 1996.
Felix Miata
2016-05-03 12:00:03 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by Felix Miata
thousands of mailing list subscribers. This list's subscribers can see in
the list posting rules that binary attachments are not to be expected unless
of nominal size, thus can feel safe their disk space won't be wasted, and
Avoid sending large attachments.
says:

"Do not submit an attachment larger than 10 KiB."

The functional gist of the entirety of both URLs includes keeping submissions
modest in size. Images attached virtually always violate that precept.
Post by Brian
Nothing about "binary". Nothing about "nominal".
Binary is functionally implied. When was the last time you saw any software
user/help mailing list post arrive with an image attached that was not many
times 10KiB (10KiB is very roughly the average size of a debian-user mailing
list post), or an attachment that was not an image? IME it rarely happens.

Nominal in the context used means modest, something that wouldn't burden the
system by bloating an ordinary plain text email many orders of magnitude.
Post by Brian
Post by Felix Miata
internet bandwidth won't be wasted, on things a select few have interest in
or will be opening. It's little different than the waste that is HTML
Subscribing to a list means taking the rough with the smooth.
It does not mean liking abuse or never doing anything to dissuade abuse.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
Brian
2016-05-03 12:30:02 UTC
Post by Sven Arvidsson
Post by Brian
Post by Felix Miata
thousands of mailing list subscribers. This list's subscribers can see in
the list posting rules that binary attachments are not to be expected unless
of nominal size, thus can feel safe their disk space won't be wasted, and
Avoid sending large attachments.
"Do not submit an attachment larger than 10 KiB."
Please keep up at the back. :) That statement has been dealt with on
-user a day or so ago. It does not reflect reality on the lists today.
Post by Sven Arvidsson
The functional gist of the entirety of both URLs includes keeping
submissions modest in size. Images attached virtually always violate that
precept.
I do not know the size of the average screenshot but I can imagine it
would exceed what Listmaster allows. Listmaster also ensures only
modestly sized attachments sufficient for the list to function are sent
to the list.
Post by Sven Arvidsson
Post by Brian
Nothing about "binary". Nothing about "nominal".
Binary is functionally implied. When was the last time you saw any software
user/help mailing list post arrive with an image attached that was not many
times 10KiB (10KiB is very roughly the average size of a debian-user mailing
list post), or an attachment that was not an image? IME it rarely happens.
When did I last see a modestly sized image on -user? Yesterday.

Non-image 400K attachments are regularly seen on some Debian lists.
Post by Sven Arvidsson
Nominal in the context used means modest, something that wouldn't burden the
system by bloating an ordinary plain text email many orders of magnitude.
Burdening the system is a consideration but so is enabling the work via
the lists to be carried out.
Post by Sven Arvidsson
Post by Brian
Post by Felix Miata
internet bandwidth won't be wasted, on things a select few have interest in
or will be opening. It's little different than the waste that is HTML
Subscribing to a list means taking the rough with the smooth.
It does not mean liking abuse or never doing anything to dissuade abuse.
I hope you are not implying Listmaster likes, encourages or condones
abuse. :)
Bob Holtzman
2016-05-03 22:10:01 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
You know, I just looked at http://paste.debian,net. The site seems to be
more for pasting code snippets than anything else. While there is nothing
wrong with this, I don't see why they don't just paste the code directly
into their email message. That said, the site didn't seem to be set up very
well for pictures. At least that is my first impression. Wouldn't be the
first time that that was wrong though.
Run a search on "pictures pastebins".
--
Bob Holtzman
A man is a man who will fight with a sword or
owns a '34 Ford and tries for six thousand in low.
Lisi Reisz
2016-05-01 11:30:02 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or send
anything other than plain text files.
I tried sending a screenshot 25 minutes ago. It has not so far turned up.
But another email I sent 5 minutes ago has turned up. Whilst Debian Users
list certainly accepts attachments, it does look as though it doesn't like
screenshots. Files over acceptable size??

Lisi
Gene Heskett
2016-05-01 14:50:01 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or
send anything other than plain text files.
I tried sending a screenshot 25 minutes ago. It has not so far turned
up. But another email I sent 5 minutes ago has turned up. Whilst
Debian Users list certainly accepts attachments, it does look as
though it doesn't like screenshots. Files over acceptable size??
Lisi
That would be my guess Lisi. Someone mentioned a size limit in the last
month or so, and I noted at the time that it seemed to be such a small
limit as to be essentially worthless, but I don't recall the exact
figure. Usually when I need to post a screenshot, I'll smunch it with
jpeg until its being effected visually, and send that, which will
generally pass at srcfrg, but not here. Which is a pity because the pix
doesn't lie, while a text description can and does get lost in the
translation between what I see and what my fingers type, and again as
what I type is translated into the language the reader halfway around
the planet thinks in. If that fails, I'll probably put it on my web
page. How well that works depends on the mood the filters at yahoo are
in today. It seems they've decided to excise urls from email posts of
late. Vendor lockin ID10see? IDK.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Sven Arvidsson
2016-05-01 15:10:03 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
I tried sending a screenshot 25 minutes ago.  It has not so far
turned
up. But another email I sent 5 minutes ago has turned up.  Whilst
Debian Users list certainly accepts attachments, it does look as
though it doesn't like screenshots.  Files over acceptable size??
Lisi
That would be my guess Lisi.  Someone mentioned a size limit in the
last
month or so, and I noted at the time that it seemed to be such a
small
limit as to be essentially worthless, but I don't recall the exact
figure.
"Do not submit an attachment larger than 10 KiB. Consider using
paste.debian.net and including a link in your post."

Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 6FAB5CD5
Lisi Reisz
2016-05-01 15:20:02 UTC
Post by Sven Arvidsson
Post by Lisi Reisz
I tried sending a screenshot 25 minutes ago.  It has not so far
turned
up. But another email I sent 5 minutes ago has turned up.  Whilst
Debian Users list certainly accepts attachments, it does look as
though it doesn't like screenshots.  Files over acceptable size??
Lisi
That would be my guess Lisi.  Someone mentioned a size limit in the
last
month or so, and I noted at the time that it seemed to be such a
small
limit as to be essentially worthless, but I don't recall the exact
figure.
"Do not submit an attachment larger than 10 KiB. Consider using
paste.debian.net and including a link in your post."
From https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guidelines
.2C_and_Tips
Thanks, Sven. Scanning text is one of the things I find difficult - hence
using trial and error.

Lisi
Gene Heskett
2016-05-01 16:10:02 UTC
Post by Sven Arvidsson
Post by Lisi Reisz
I tried sending a screenshot 25 minutes ago.  It has not so far
turned
up. But another email I sent 5 minutes ago has turned up.  Whilst
Debian Users list certainly accepts attachments, it does look as
though it doesn't like screenshots.  Files over acceptable size??
Lisi
That would be my guess Lisi.  Someone mentioned a size limit in the
last
month or so, and I noted at the time that it seemed to be such a
small
limit as to be essentially worthless, but I don't recall the exact
figure.
"Do not submit an attachment larger than 10 KiB. Consider using
paste.debian.net and including a link in your post."
From https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guide
lines.2C_and_Tips
Thanks Sven. But it does seem rather archaic today, 100k would be a lot
more useful as attaching a well smunched screenshot is a lot less
trouble than running a browser, uploading the shot, and then sending the
URL, particularly since yahoo posters apparently can't send the URL
anymore from noise I am reading on yahoo hosted lists. As I've said
before, the screenshot doesn't lie, but the text description can when
language barriers exist.

So I'd like to prose a compromise that recognizes the folks still on
dialup and at dialup speeds. Possibly paying by the minute for access.

Accept the attachment, but strip it from the message that goes back out
to the list and store it on paste.debian.org with a 30 day expire,
substituting the URL for the attachment, placing it above any sig
separators so the link would propagate in replies.

By this, you would protect the folks who do not have the bandwidth at low
cost available, while still offering a facility to show those who do
have the BW to participate, seeing the image/snapshot linked by no more
than clicking on the link in the email.

Whats not to like?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Richard Hector
2016-05-02 01:00:02 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
So I'd like to prose a compromise that recognizes the folks still
on dialup and at dialup speeds. Possibly paying by the minute for
access.
Accept the attachment, but strip it from the message that goes
back out to the list and store it on paste.debian.org with a 30
day expire, substituting the URL for the attachment, placing it
above any sig separators so the link would propagate in replies.
By this, you would protect the folks who do not have the bandwidth
at low cost available, while still offering a facility to show
those who do have the BW to participate, seeing the image/snapshot
linked by no more than clicking on the link in the email.
Whats not to like?
It would break signed messages, which seems to be the reason we no
longer have list-server footers on messages either.

Richard
Felix Miata
2016-05-03 04:10:01 UTC
Post by Gene Heskett
So I'd like to prose a compromise that recognizes the folks still on
dialup and at dialup speeds. Possibly paying by the minute for access.
Some pay by the byte even with high bandwidth. Not attaching binaries is
about not being wasteful generally, including not archiving items whose
usefulness doubtless will expire long before the archive. It's not too much
to ask those asking for help to expend a bit of effort in order to not waste
the resources of hundreds or thousands of recipients and their input pipelines.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/
c***@slingshot.co.nz
2016-05-10 18:40:02 UTC
From https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guide
lines.2C_and_Tips
Thanks Sven. But it does seem rather archaic today, 100k would be a lot
more useful as attaching a well smunched screenshot is a lot less
Well, it is a wiki. :)

That certaily seems like a random joe blogs post, considering pastebin
is not good for a user suport mailing list that archives its posts.
-- Malcolm X
Brian
Which anyone, including you, can contribute to. :)
c***@slingshot.co.nz
2016-05-13 12:30:02 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by c***@slingshot.co.nz
From https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Posting_Rules.2C_Guide
lines.2C_and_Tips
Thanks Sven. But it does seem rather archaic today, 100k would be a lot
more useful as attaching a well smunched screenshot is a lot less
Well, it is a wiki. :)
Which anyone, including you, can contribute to. :)
Yeah, that's what I pointed out. I don't intend to go round editing posts
on other peoples behalf. :)
-- Malcolm X
Lisi Reisz
2016-05-01 11:40:01 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or send
anything other than plain text files.
I just sent a screenshot half an hour ago and it has not arrived, but another
email I sent twenty minutes later has arrived. Although some attachments
certainly are allowed on this list, it does look as though screenshots are
not. File too big???

Lisi
Lisi Reisz
Lisi
Gary Roach
2016-05-01 17:00:01 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or send
anything other than plain text files.
I just sent a screenshot half an hour ago and it has not arrived, but
another email I sent twenty minutes later has arrived. Although some
attachments certainly are allowed on this list, it does look as though
screenshots are not. File too big???
Lisi
Hi all

Well a 10k limit sure explains my problems with picture attachments.
That coupled with the fact that this list just throws rejects into the
bit bucket pretty well explains everything that happened to me. I know
that there are still people out there with dial up connections (my
brother in the wilds of New Hampshire just got high speed internet a
couple of months ago) but would it be so bad to return rejection notices
with a little information on why they were rejected.

I need to re-read Gene Haskett's suggestion again and try to impliment
it. Dial up or no dial up I really think Debian needs to loosen up a bit
on the site restrictions.

Gary R.
Lisi Reisz
2016-05-01 17:40:02 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
Dial up or no dial up I really think Debian needs to loosen up a bit
on the site restrictions.
Why? Most people manage fine. If you would only answer the questions you are
asked, you would get more help faster.

Lisi
Gary Roach
2016-05-02 01:40:01 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Gary Roach
Dial up or no dial up I really think Debian needs to loosen up a bit
on the site restrictions.
Why? Most people manage fine. If you would only answer the questions you are
asked, you would get more help faster.
Lisi
What questions would that be . Have I missed something.

Gary R.
Sven Arvidsson
2016-05-01 19:20:01 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
I need to re-read Gene Haskett's suggestion again and try to
impliment
it. Dial up or no dial up I really think Debian needs to loosen up a
bit
on the site restrictions.
You could probably file a bug about reject notices.

As for the limits, it's probably less about users on dial up, and more
about the server needing to send out your image to all the users
subscribed to the list.
--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson
PGP Key ID 6FAB5CD5
t***@tuxteam.de
2016-05-02 06:50:02 UTC
On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 09:59:13AM -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

[...]
Post by Gary Roach
That coupled with the fact that this list just throws rejects into
the bit bucket [...]
I doubt that part. Especially having already received rejects from
some Debian list due to attachments (haven't tried recently, but
might try). Perhaps it's your provider or spam filter?

regards
- -- tomás
Gary Roach
2016-05-02 07:30:01 UTC
Actially I read that in the debian-user instructions. I don't think I
have ever gotten a reject notice in the years that I have used this
mailing list. I have no idea about the practice on other lists.

Gary R.
Brian
2016-05-02 11:00:02 UTC
Post by t***@tuxteam.de
[...]
Post by Gary Roach
That coupled with the fact that this list just throws rejects into
the bit bucket [...]
I doubt that part. Especially having already received rejects from
some Debian list due to attachments (haven't tried recently, but
might try). Perhaps it's your provider or spam filter?
Another known limitation in our mailing list software is that
most rejected e-mails get silently dropped, so the user has no
real indication on what went wrong.
Siard
2016-05-01 18:40:01 UTC
Post by Gary Roach
I understand that I should not use attachments on debian-user or send
anything other than plain text files. This leaves me with a problem
if I wish to post a screen shot. I have been told that debian has a
paste bin. Does anyone know the url for that bin.
There are several sites that you can use to host an image. This is
the least bloated that I know of and it offers several types of links
(link, direct link, URL, embed code etc.) as well as a delete link:

http://postimage.org/