Multifunction (printer + scanner) recommendation?
Kamil Jońca
2018-03-07 05:30:01 UTC
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(

I need to buy device to scan and print which:
- can scan with sane
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
- can be shared to Windows machines (with HP 1120MFP I could not do that)

Any suggestions?

KJ

[1] - like Brother, but I heard that they give source code for driver too?
[2] - hplip has a lot of bloat in his dependecies
[3] - sizes of my current hp 1120 MFP device
--
http://wolnelektury.pl/wesprzyj/teraz/
You feel a whole lot more like you do now than you did when you used to.
Dan Purgert
2018-03-07 12:20:01 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(
I'd go for something from Brother. Ideally, networkable (rather than
needing to share via CUPS, etc.)
Post by Kamil Jońca
- can scan with sane
Last I looked, Brother can do this. That being said, I'm using one of
their "MFC" series, and just scan PDFs to a network share (this does
mean, ofc that I lose out on OCR, but for what I scan, that's minor).
Post by Kamil Jońca
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
Good luck there. Brother, HP, everyone that makes quality hardware has
a binary driver.
Post by Kamil Jońca
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
That's a bit on the small side, but you could probably find something.
Post by Kamil Jońca
- can be shared to Windows machines (with HP 1120MFP I could not do that)
Sounds like you might've missed a step then, since cups has been able to
share forever.
--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
Celejar
2018-03-07 19:10:01 UTC
On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 12:07:20 -0000 (UTC)
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by Kamil Jońca
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(
I understand, but do see this thread:

Post by Dan Purgert
I'd go for something from Brother. Ideally, networkable (rather than
needing to share via CUPS, etc.)
+1

My experience with my Brother HL-2280DW has been very good:

I'm pretty sure that this model has been superseded by newer ones, but
I have the impression that the situation is similar with those newer
models in the same or similar product families:

http://www.brother-usa.com/productpages/ataglance2.aspx?PG=4&HID=43
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by Kamil Jońca
- can scan with sane
Last I looked, Brother can do this. That being said, I'm using one of
their "MFC" series, and just scan PDFs to a network share (this does
mean, ofc that I lose out on OCR, but for what I scan, that's minor).
My HL-2280DW works fine with sane.
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by Kamil Jońca
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
Good luck there. Brother, HP, everyone that makes quality hardware has
a binary driver.
I use Brother's binary drivers. The printer can actually be made to
work without them, albeit with missing functionality and some apparent
difference in output quality:

Celejar
r***@gmail.com
2018-03-07 19:40:02 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
That's a bit on the small side, but you could probably find something.
+1--your size limititations make it rather tough.

Bbut I'll mention that I'm partial to Canon, and now that they've come out
with the line of printers that you can refill on board ink tanks, I wish I
hadn't bought something else recently. The one disappointment I see with
those Canon printers (there are two that I'm aware of) is that they can'd do
auto duplex printing.
Doug
2018-03-07 20:20:02 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
That's a bit on the small side, but you could probably find something.
+1--your size limititations make it rather tough.
Bbut I'll mention that I'm partial to Canon, and now that they've come out
with the line of printers that you can refill on board ink tanks, I wish I
hadn't bought something else recently. The one disappointment I see with
those Canon printers (there are two that I'm aware of) is that they can'd do
auto duplex printing.
If it ever is up to me, I would SHUN any printer with ink tanks! I do NOT
want to have to deal with liquid ink! I think that's the worst idea I have
ever seen!

--doug
Dan Purgert
2018-03-08 13:10:01 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
That's a bit on the small side, but you could probably find something.
+1--your size limititations make it rather tough.
Bbut I'll mention that I'm partial to Canon, and now that they've come
out with the line of printers that you can refill on board ink tanks,
I wish I hadn't bought something else recently. The one
disappointment I see with those Canon printers (there are two that I'm
aware of) is that they can'd do auto duplex printing.
Ink in general is a disappointment to me ;). It dries out before I get
a chance to use it all.
r***@gmail.com
2018-03-08 13:30:03 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by r***@gmail.com
Bbut I'll mention that I'm partial to Canon, and now that they've come
out with the line of printers that you can refill on board ink tanks,
I wish I hadn't bought something else recently. The one
disappointment I see with those Canon printers (there are two that I'm
aware of) is that they can'd do auto duplex printing.
--> ^t
Post by Dan Purgert
Ink in general is a disappointment to me ;). It dries out before I get
a chance to use it all.
I guess you mean the ink dries in the printing head "holes"? It's been a long
time since I've had that problem--I guess the little bit of rubbing alcohol
that I add to the ink helps prevent that problem.

In the past, when I've had the problem, I've done things like put the print
head into a tray with a shallow batch of rubbing alcohol (so it just wets the
print head "holes"). After soaking for a while, I wipe the head dry (gently)
(just to avoid dripping ink anywhere) with something lint free, reinsert in
the printer, and then run a cleaning cycle.

If that doesn't work, I'll repeat.
albcares
2018-03-08 13:40:01 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Dan Purgert
Ink in general is a disappointment to me ;). It dries out before I get
a chance to use it all.
I guess you mean the ink dries in the printing head "holes"? It's been a long
time since I've had that problem--I guess the little bit of rubbing alcohol
that I add to the ink helps prevent that problem.
In the past, when I've had the problem, I've done things like put the print
head into a tray with a shallow batch of rubbing alcohol (so it just wets the
print head "holes"). After soaking for a while, I wipe the head dry (gently)
(just to avoid dripping ink anywhere) with something lint free, reinsert in
the printer, and then run a cleaning cycle.
If that doesn't work, I'll repeat.
Hi. - I'm thinking You'd better look for what kind doesn't run! You may
check OpenPrinting lists.
By now for instanceI'm with a B/W laser multifunction by samsung, scx4100
series (quite old). After some troubles for fitting it, I feel well and
it's good and cheap, and overall you can forget of sending a print anytime
to keep the cartridge awake!

best regards
linux user #521635
Dan Purgert
2018-03-08 19:20:02 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Post by Dan Purgert
Ink in general is a disappointment to me ;). It dries out before I get
a chance to use it all.
I guess you mean the ink dries in the printing head "holes"? It's
been a long time since I've had that problem--I guess the little bit
of rubbing alcohol that I add to the ink helps prevent that problem.
Or in the cartridge itself. Either way, it dried out. Laser is the way
to go :)
Charlie Gibbs
2018-03-07 18:10:01 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(
- can scan with sane
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
- can be shared to Windows machines (with HP 1120MFP I could not do that)
Any suggestions?
I have an Epson WF-2760 which seems to do what you need. It sits on our
LAN; from my Debian box I can use it to scan using xsane, and after
setting it up in CUPS it prints with no problems. Dunno about Windows,
but my wife's Macbook accesses it just fine too.
***@surfnaked.ca (Charlie Gibbs)
Doug
2018-03-07 18:30:02 UTC
Post by Charlie Gibbs
Post by Kamil Jońca
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(
- can scan with sane
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
- can be shared to Windows machines (with HP 1120MFP I could not do that)
Any suggestions?
I have an Epson WF-2760 which seems to do what you need. It sits on
our LAN; from my Debian box I can use it to scan using xsane, and
after setting it up in CUPS it prints with no problems. Dunno about
Windows, but my wife's Macbook accesses it just fine too.
I also have an Epson. Mine is WP-4530. It prints in color, scans, copies
(reducing and enlarging on request) and sends and receives faxes. It
uses large ink cartridges, unlike another Epson
printer I bought which uses little tiny ink sources that hardly last at
all, so research your Epson choice carefully. I think the WP-4530 is a
really excellent machine for all those purposes, and
it works perfectly with SANE. However, you will probably have to go to
Epson and download drivers for it. I also don't know if it is still
available.

--doug
Erwan David
2018-03-07 20:30:01 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(
- can scan with sane
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
- can be shared to Windows machines (with HP 1120MFP I could not do that)
Any suggestions?
KJ
[1] - like Brother, but I heard that they give source code for driver too?
[2] - hplip has a lot of bloat in his dependecies
[3] - sizes of my current hp 1120 MFP device
I can not test for windows, but otherwise I have a HP LaserJet Pro MFP
m125nw which could work, except it needs a proprietary plugin to hplip.
Since it is a network printer, I do not see why it could not be used by
windows and debian at the same time.
I should add that it is a B&W laser printer. An avantage of laser is
that ink does not dry...
Erwan David

Kamil Jońca
2018-03-07 21:30:02 UTC
***@poczta.onet.pl (Kamil Jońca) writes:

[...]
Thanks for everybodys' replies.
Now I think about brother DCP-1510E.

We'll see ...
KJ
--
http://wolnelektury.pl/wesprzyj/teraz/
When the government bureau's remedies don't match your problem, you modify
the problem, not the remedy.
Kamil Jońca
2018-03-10 06:30:01 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
[...]
Thanks for everybodys' replies.
Now I think about brother DCP-1510E.
I bought it, and have mixed feelings.
With brother's drivers I can scan and print (and Windows 7 machine too
via samba) but scans are "over exposed"
Is it possible to control scan lamp power or ccd sensivity?
KJ
--
http://stopstopnop.pl/stop_stopnop.pl_o_nas.html
... I see TOILET SEATS ...
Ben Caradoc-Davies
2018-03-10 10:00:02 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
Post by Kamil Jońca
Thanks for everybodys' replies.
Now I think about brother DCP-1510E.
I bought it, and have mixed feelings.
With brother's drivers I can scan and print (and Windows 7 machine too
via samba) but scans are "over exposed"
Is it possible to control scan lamp power or ccd sensivity?
KJ
In XSane you can set the gamma, brightness, and contrast. If you open
the preview scan you can use a preview scan to set these automatically.
If you want to use the same settings for all scans, you can save them
with the "M" button. For more, see Help /XSane doc.

Kind regards,
--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <***@transient.nz>
Director
New Zealand
Ben Caradoc-Davies
2018-03-08 11:10:01 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(
- can scan with sane
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
- can be shared to Windows machines (with HP 1120MFP I could not do that)
Any suggestions?
KJ
[1] - like Brother, but I heard that they give source code for driver too?
[2] - hplip has a lot of bloat in his dependecies
[3] - sizes of my current hp 1120 MFP device
I like my Brother MFC-L2740DW. Duplex greyscale laser with sheet feeder.
A little deeper but not as wide as your current printer. Printing uses
only open source drivers (with the foomatic-db-compressed-ppds package).
Scanning needs brscan4-0.4.4-2.amd64.deb. I use XSane. On WiFi network.
Other user reports that it works with Mac. What is this "Windows"?

CUPS settings:
http://192.168.1.11/ipp
Name: Brother_MFC-L2740DW
Driver: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlcolor (recommended)

From CUPS page:
Location:
Driver: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlcolor (recommended)
(color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: http://192.168.1.11/ipp
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm
sides=two-sided-long-edge

Sane config:
brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother_MFC-L2740DW model=MFC-L2740DW ip=192.168.1.11

Kind regards,
New Zealand
Gary Dale
2018-03-10 16:10:01 UTC
Post by Kamil Jońca
I am not sure if it is best group for this question but I am tired with
searching over numerous web pages :(
- can scan with sane
- can print from my debian box (strongly prefer without binary/closed
drivers[1], I'm not sure about hplip[2])
- no bigger than ~ (H x D x W) 308 mm x 363 mm x 437 mm [3]
- can be shared to Windows machines (with HP 1120MFP I could not do that)
Any suggestions?
KJ
[1] - like Brother, but I heard that they give source code for driver too?
[2] - hplip has a lot of bloat in his dependecies
[3] - sizes of my current hp 1120 MFP device
I have had good luck with Epson products over the decades. I've been
using an Epson XP-820 for a few years now and it works quite well as a
printer/scanner/fax except that I can't print directly to a CD/DVD
(previous Epson printers allowed me to do this without problem so I'm
not sure why the XP-820 doesn't). However I can copy the image to a USB
stick and print directly on the printer so it's not a fatal flaw.