Boot Problem
Stephen P. Molnar
2019-06-16 14:00:02 UTC
I have just installed a new SSD in my 64 bit Stretch platform.

When I boot the machine I get the following error:

error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normalmod' not found
Entering rescue mode .. . .
grub rescue>_

Pressing Contro-Alt-Delete reboots the system. Pressing Delete , or
F-8,during the post opens the ASUS UFEI Bios Utility - EZ mode
(actually, F-8 opens the boot selection).

Clicking on P0 boots the machine normally.

Here are the drives:

blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="b780b7fb-05a5-4996-8ad5-cd2a578bb4f2" TYPE="ext4"
PARTUUID="a14552f2-01"
/dev/sda5: UUID="2e6c48ee-b1b5-441e-ae90-549f5e3b6134" TYPE="swap"
PARTUUID="a14552f2-05"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="1f363165-2c59-4236-850d-36d1e807099e" TYPE="ext4"
PARTUUID="eb2be395-01"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="900b5f0b-4f3d-4a64-8c91-29aee4c6fd07" TYPE="ext4"
PARTUUID="0bc7db76-01"
/dev/sdb5: UUID="7c386aca-a547-475f-8616-f7664f93c595" TYPE="swap"
PARTUUID="0bc7db76-05"
/dev/sdd1: UUID="51941391-3c92-4370-a330-270d2c4d7003" TYPE="ext4"
PARTUUID="7809855e-01"

Sda1 is the Stretch OS (P0), sdd1 is the new drive. I had no problems
installing the new drive, nor making it known to Stretch. My intention
is to install Buster on sdd1, while maintaining Stretch on sda1 for a
hopefully short period of time. I should note that I have added the
i386 applications to /etc/apt/sources.list as a number of my
applications require i386 libraries.

I have absolutely no idea as to why the new boot error, nor the solution:

1. What might be the source of the error?
2. More importantly, what is the solution, would running
update-grub solve the problem?

Comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net Stochastic and multivariate
Skype: smolnar1
bw
2019-06-16 16:40:01 UTC
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. says...
I have just installed a new SSD in my 64 bit Stretch platform.
error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normalmod' not found
Entering rescue mode .. . .
grub rescue>_
Pressing Contro-Alt-Delete reboots the system. Pressing Delete , or
F-8,during the post opens the ASUS UFEI Bios Utility - EZ mode (actually,
F-8 opens the boot selection).
Clicking on P0 boots the machine normally.
Since the machine boots normally when you select P0 then why
not just use ASUS UFEI Bios Utility to set that as default?

Since the new drive has a filesystem, I'd say you did more than just
install it? Drive/Boot order is nothing to take lightly, if you set grub
to depend on it, then you can't rearrange drives without causing an issue.

If you are going to remove that drive, then you don't want to boot from it
as a permanent solution. You will need to migrate the bootloader off
this drive altogether. Do some reading first, multi boot is extensively
well represented topic on the interwebs.

Good Luck
bw
2019-06-17 11:50:02 UTC
Post by bw
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. says...
[...]
I have not installed the OS on the new drive. I did, however, format it so
that I put it into the fstab.
--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net Stochastic and multivariate
(614)312-7528(c)
Skype: smolnar1
There are several ways to setup dual boot that might work well for you.
If all you want to do is try out buster and see if you like it, then I'd
probably use a Live System though instead of installing right now.
There's no hurry. I like David Christensen's ideas for getting you on a
good reliable setup with some redundancy... and maybe using VM to see how
you can migrate your software into the newer os.

If the idea is to switch back to a single GNU/Linux os installation, with
multiple physical drives, then I would probably go ahead now and rearrange
the drives so that whichever drive you wish to install the boot manager on
is the first physical drive.

What happens is, when you run grub-install, or allow the debian installer
to do it, grub sets and stores something called the $prefix on the drive.
This is a reference to the order of the drives, that tells grub where to
load files during the boot process. Some BIOS have a habit of always
making the boot device (hd0) and some don't. Some bioses will rearrange
devices when you add one, so you really have to be careful.

This is a good link that might help you understand, and has some links to
how you can use grub to examine the setup.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/70538/grub-error-file-grub-i386-pc-normal-mod-not-found

It's not too complicated, but it is complicated so make sure and have a
backup plan for when you have problems. A good live usb/cd, or knowing
how to use the install media in rescue mode can help.

L8r,
bw
songbird
2019-06-16 23:30:01 UTC
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
I have just installed a new SSD in my 64 bit Stretch platform.
what do you mean by "installed"? there is a lot
of difference between plugging it in vs. plugging
it in and putting something on it.

what did you do?

give details. we don't know what you did nor can
we read your mind.
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normalmod' not found
Entering rescue mode .. . .
grub rescue>_
Pressing Contro-Alt-Delete reboots the system. Pressing Delete , or
F-8,during the post opens the ASUS UFEI Bios Utility - EZ mode
(actually, F-8 opens the boot selection).
Clicking on P0 boots the machine normally.
so you can boot the system into Stretch ok.
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
[...]
i have no idea how to run a mixed system like that
so you are out of my range of experience there.

i just use the amd64 debs.

if it was running ok before i see no reason why you'd
add that now?
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
1. What might be the source of the error?
2. More importantly, what is the solution, would running
update-grub solve the problem?
Comments will be appreciated.
since we don't know what you've done i don't know
for sure what has changed. running update-grub may
make no change at all.

the more you can say what you did the better
context we have for replying.

songbird
David Christensen
2019-06-17 03:00:01 UTC
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
[...]
Did you read my reply to your previous post?

David
Pascal Hambourg
2019-06-17 18:30:02 UTC
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
I have just installed a new SSD in my 64 bit Stretch platform.
error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normalmod' not found
Entering rescue mode .. . .
grub rescue>_
Pressing Contro-Alt-Delete reboots the system.  Pressing Delete , or
F-8,during the post opens the ASUS UFEI Bios Utility - EZ mode
(actually, F-8 opens the boot selection).
Clicking  on P0 boots the machine normally.
(...)
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
    1. What might be the source of the error?
My first guess, like bw, would be that adding the new SSD has somhow
changed the BIOS/UEFI boot order and now it defaults to boot another
disk which contains an incomplete GRUB (maybe a remain of a deleted
installation).

At the grub rescue prompt, you could type the commands "ls" and "set"
and report the returns (not all variables, only "cmdline" and "prefix"
are interesting).
You could also run bootinfoscript from the boot-info-script package and
post the initial part of the report (before the contents of grub.cfg).
Post by Stephen P. Molnar
    2. More importantly, what is the solution, would running
update-grub solve the problem?
No. A missing or corrupted grub.cfg does not cause this kind of error.
The error means that the GRUB core image successfully loaded but failed
to find the contents of /boot/grub where it expected it.

The best solution is to fix the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI settings. A
workaround when the former is not applicable is to run grub-install to
install a copy of GRUB on the actual boot drive.