/dev/pts/0: Operation not permitted
Johann Spies
2004-08-24 13:00:13 UTC
When I do a su - sysadm on one server with Woody I get the error
message in the subject line. That happens only when su to sysadm is
being used.

Apart from the error message everything seems work normally:

14:40:38 ***@mxx:/var/log/exim4$ sudo su - sysadm
/dev/pts/0: Operation not permitted
14:40:42 ***@mxx:~$
14:40:42 ***@mxx:~$ exit
logout
14:41:30 ***@mxx:/var/log/exim4$

What is causing this?

Regards

Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the
Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to
the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before
him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and
a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages,
should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting
dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom
that which shall not be destroyed."
Daniel 7:13,14
Thomas Adam
2004-08-24 13:10:06 UTC
Post by Johann Spies
When I do a su - sysadm on one server with Woody I get the error
message in the subject line. That happens only when su to sysadm is
being used.
Hmm, try adding the user to the 'tty' group.

-- Thomas Adam
--
"Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask. You are a flatulent pain in
the arse." -- Morrissey.
Johann Spies
2004-08-24 13:50:18 UTC
Hello Thomas,

Thanks for your reply.
Post by Thomas Adam
Post by Johann Spies
When I do a su - sysadm on one server with Woody I get the error
message in the subject line. That happens only when su to sysadm is
being used.
Hmm, try adding the user to the 'tty' group.
15:24:40 ***@mxx:/opt/archive$ sudo adduser sysadm tty
Adding user sysadm to group tty...
Done.
15:24:48 ***@mxx:/opt/archive$ sudo su - sysadm
/dev/pts/0: Operation not permitted
15:24:54 ***@mxx:~$

I have also added js to tty, but it did not make a difference.

Regards
Johann

Miquel van Smoorenburg
2004-08-24 20:20:04 UTC
Post by Johann Spies
When I do a su - sysadm on one server with Woody I get the error
message in the subject line. That happens only when su to sysadm is
being used.
/dev/pts/0: Operation not permitted
What is causing this?
Probably a 'mesg n' in /etc/profile or somesuch. After a su,
/dev/pts/0 is still owned by the previous userid.

Mike.
--
The question is, what is a "manamanap".
The question is, who cares ?
Johann Spies
2004-09-10 09:20:09 UTC
Post by Johann Spies
When I do a su - sysadm on one server with Woody I get the error
message in the subject line. That happens only when su to sysadm is
being used.
/dev/pts/0: Operation not permitted
logout
What is causing this?
The culprit was the following line in ~/.bash_profile:

biff y

Commenting that out stopped the error messages.

Maybe biff can't be used if one su - 'ed to a user?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.
Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your
hearts, you double minded." James 4:8