title bar can't show chinese
Long Wind
2020-09-16 22:20:01 UTC
firefox can show chinese page except in title bar(though in each tab's window, title is correctly shown)
i use twm and below is option in /etc/X11/twm/system.twmrc

TitleFont "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*"
i delete line above, it doesn't help
both stretch and buster have this problem
David Wright
2020-09-17 00:40:01 UTC
Post by Long Wind
firefox can show chinese page except in title bar(though in each tab's window, title is correctly shown)
Firefox is responsible for everything inside the window, but the
window manager decorates the window frame.
Post by Long Wind
i use twm and below is option in /etc/X11/twm/system.twmrc
TitleFont "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*"
i delete line above, it doesn't help
both stretch and buster have this problem
When I type xfd -fn -adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*
I get an ISO8559-1 font (Latin-1) in 255 cells. I think you might need
a better endowed font. My suggestions wouldn't be suitable, probably.

Cheers,
David.
Long Wind
2020-09-17 01:10:01 UTC
in stretch i delete TitleFont in system.twmrc and .twmrc at home
now it can show chinese title

Thank David anyway!
riveravaldez
2020-09-17 01:20:02 UTC
Post by Long Wind
in stretch i delete TitleFont in system.twmrc and .twmrc at home
now it can show chinese title
Maybe you want to inform twm developers so they can do something about this...?

Best regards!
David Wright
2020-09-17 01:30:01 UTC
Post by Long Wind
in stretch i delete TitleFont in system.twmrc and .twmrc at home
now it can show chinese title
Thank David anyway!
I don't know which fonts you had installed on stretch, nor what you
have in buster. Assuming that "delete TitleFont in system.twmrc and .twmrc"
is the cure for stretch, and that this cure does not work in buster,
perhaps you should try actually setting an appropriate (and installed)
font in one of those two files, as intended.

I haven't run twm since I tried it in about 1996 (I might have tried
motif, too) so I won't be much help. man twm says that the default
font is "variable", so I wasn't surprised that xfd -fn variable
gave me the same display as the aforementioned

David.
Long Wind

yes, delete TitleFont doesn't work in busteranyway it's not big problem for mei won't upgrade twm to xfce just for title problem
Ben Caradoc-Davies
2020-09-17 01:20:02 UTC
Post by Long Wind
firefox can show chinese page except in title bar(though in each tab's window, title is correctly shown)
i use twm and below is option in /etc/X11/twm/system.twmrc
TitleFont "-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*"
i delete line above, it doesn't help
both stretch and buster have this problem
twm is ancient, so you have to specify an X11 bitmap font with Chinese
language support. Consider using a window manager with scalable font
support (this is what Firefox uses to draw its content). Xfce is a
popular and lightweight choice. But twm can be made to work:

I copied the system twmrc to ~/.twmrc and edited the TitleFont line to:

TitleFont "hanzigb16fs"

and then restarted twm. The Firefox window title was then displayed in
Chinese for a Chinese language page. In fact, all window titles were
displayed in Chinese.

Tested with debian-live-10.3.0-amd64-xfce.iso under QEMU with locale
zh_CN.UTF-8 set with "dpgk-reconfigure locales" and twm manually installed.

Here are a few Chinese bitmap fonts installed by default:

$ xlsfonts | grep gb2312
-isas-fangsong ti-medium-r-normal--0-0-72-72-c-0-gb2312.1980-0
-isas-fangsong ti-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-gb2312.1980-0
-isas-song ti-medium-r-normal--0-0-72-72-c-0-gb2312.1980-0
-isas-song ti-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-gb2312.1980-0
-isas-song ti-medium-r-normal--24-240-72-72-c-240-gb2312.1980-0

These three are aliases for the three fonts above without --0-0 in their
names

$ xlsfonts | grep hanzigb
hanzigb16fs
hanzigb16st
hanzigb24st

Kind regards,
--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <***@transient.nz>
Director
New Zealand
Long Wind
2020-09-17 02:10:01 UTC
Thank Ben!  twm meets my needs. i've tried xfce for fedora, i'm not impressed. i think lxde is better than xfce.i can display chinese with English localeif i set locale to Chinese, English font become ugly