VirtualBox - vboxpci
Klaus Jantzen
2020-09-06 09:20:02 UTC
Hi,

I am trying to run VB 16.1.14 r140239 on my laptop under Debian Buster.

After sucessfully signing vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp I installed
the extension package.

Now I have to additionally sign vboxpci.

However, this module was not installed. Where do I get it from?
K.D.J.
Georgi Naplatanov
2020-09-06 10:30:02 UTC
Post by Klaus Jantzen
Hi,
I am trying to run VB 16.1.14 r140239 on my laptop under Debian Buster.
After sucessfully signing vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp I installed
the extension package.
Now I have to additionally sign vboxpci.
However, this module was not installed. Where do I get it from?
Hi,

I use Virtualbox 6.1 on my computer without any problems.

I don't understand what your problem is.

I have added the following line to /etc/apt//sources.list

deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib

HTH

Kind regards
Georgi
Klaus Jantzen
2020-09-06 14:10:02 UTC
Post by Georgi Naplatanov
Post by Klaus Jantzen
Hi,
I am trying to run VB 16.1.14 r140239 on my laptop under Debian Buster.
After sucessfully signing vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp I installed
the extension package.
Now I have to additionally sign vboxpci.
However, this module was not installed. Where do I get it from?
Hi,
I use Virtualbox 6.1 on my computer without any problems.
I don't understand what your problem is.
I have added the following line to /etc/apt//sources.list
deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib
HTH
Kind regards
Georgi
My problem is not the installation of VB.

After the installation I defined a Windows10-machine. When I start this
machine VB indicates that the kernel driver ist not installed and
recommends to run '/sbin/vboxconfig'.

vboxconfig request the signing of four modules, one of them is vboxpci.
And this module has not been installed.

So I wonder where I can  find this module.
K.D.J.
Eike Lantzsch
2020-09-06 20:40:01 UTC
Post by Klaus Jantzen
Post by Georgi Naplatanov
Post by Klaus Jantzen
[...]
Honestly, Klaus Jantzen, neither do I understand what you are talking about. First: VB
version 16.1.14 r140239 does not exist. Do you mean version 6.1.14?Did you get it from
here:http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.14/ ?Get the .deb file and install it the
Debian way. WHen you stat VBox then it asks you to download and install the extension
kit, which is downloaded by Virtualbox itself. Then get yourself the GuestEditions iso.
After you installed Windos-10 on the virtual machine insert the CD or the USB-stick with
the GuestEditions and run VirtualBox-6.1.14-140239-Win.exe[1]
On Linux Guests I usually use the loop device to mount the GuestAdditions iso. But on
WIndows?

There is nothing to "sign" and no extra modules to install - no vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and
vboxnetadp and especially no vboxpci.

Hope that helpsCheersEike

--
Eike Lantzsch ZP6CGE

On a note about Re: Sv: and so on "feature" of MS email clients. Re: is not a short for
"Reply" as MS seems to think. As http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RE_(e-mail) states:
re (the ablative of res 'thing') has been used in English since the 18th century to mean 'in
the matter of', 'referring to', or 'about'. In business letters and memoranda, "Re:" may be
used instead of "Subject:" to set off the topic.

--------
[1] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.14/VirtualBox-6.1.14-140239-Win.exe
Eike Lantzsch
Sorry, I meant VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe
d***@kcburns.com
2020-09-07 02:10:01 UTC
[...]

Suggest review:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=83085

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/58308/vboxpci-iommu-not-found-not-registered

Seems may be a motherboard capability or BIOS configuration issue?

(found by google vboxpci)

Ken
Patrick Bartek
2020-09-07 04:10:01 UTC
On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 19:23:46 -0600
I am trying to run VB 16.1.14 r140239 on my laptop under Debian Buster.
After sucessfully signing vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp I
installed the extension package.
Now I have to additionally sign vboxpci.
However, this module was not installed. Where do I get it from?
Hi,
I use Virtualbox 6.1 on my computer without any problems.
I don't understand what your problem is.
I have added the following line to /etc/apt//sources.list
deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib
HTH
Kind regards
Georgi
My problem is not the installation of VB.
It probably is based on the fact that you're having problems. Correctly
installed VB runs right "out of the box."
Post by d***@kcburns.com
After the installation I defined a Windows10-machine. When I start
this machine VB indicates that the kernel driver ist not installed and
recommends to run '/sbin/vboxconfig'.
vboxconfig request the signing of four modules, one of them is vboxpci.
And this module has not been installed.
So I wonder where I can find this module.
Is dkms installed on your host machine? You will also need the specific
kernel headers for your kernel(s). And, of course, you'll need the
compiler gcc and all its various header files and dependencies. Read
the VirtualBox manual. It covers all the steps to do before actually
installing VirtualBox. I'd also download the VirtualBox .deb file
directly from VB's web site and use it instead of the version in
Buster's repo. That way VB's repo will be installed and configured,
too, so you will get the most current updates.

Keith Bainbridge
2020-09-06 23:10:02 UTC
Post by Georgi Naplatanov
Post by Klaus Jantzen
Hi,
I am trying to run VB 16.1.14 r140239 on my laptop under Debian Buster.
After sucessfully signing vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp I installed
the extension package.
Now I have to additionally sign vboxpci.
However, this module was not installed. Where do I get it from?
Hi,
I use Virtualbox 6.1 on my computer without any problems.
I don't understand what your problem is.
I have added the following line to /etc/apt//sources.list
deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib
HTH
Kind regards
Georgi
Good morning Georgi

I am running buster with backports - by way of LMDE. As an example of
the backports working, I have LibreOffice 7 installed as part of a
recent upgrade.

My vbox is 6.1.12

When I run # apt install virtualbox (immediately after # apt update)

I get:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
virtualbox-6.1 is already the newest version (6.1.12-139181~Debian~buster).
required: clipped

I see VB 6.1.14 is available from the website. As it hasn't been added
to buster, perhaps somebody at Oracle can help you?

--

Keith Bainbridge

***@gmx.com
Georgi Naplatanov
2020-09-07 07:50:02 UTC
Post by Keith Bainbridge
Post by Georgi Naplatanov
Post by Klaus Jantzen
[...]
Hi Keith,

I have Virtualbox 6.1.14 on my computer.

When I run

# apt install virtualbox

the output is:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package virtualbox is a virtual package provided by:
virtualbox-6.1 6.1.14-140239~Debian~buster
virtualbox-6.0 6.0.24-139119~Debian~buster
virtualbox-5.2 5.2.34-133893~Ubuntu~bionic
You should explicitly select one to install.

E: Package 'virtualbox' has no installation candidate

Kind regards
Georgi
Fabien Roucaute
2020-09-07 05:10:01 UTC
Post by Klaus Jantzen
Hi,
I am trying to run VB 16.1.14 r140239 on my laptop under Debian Buster.
After sucessfully signing vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp I installed
the extension package.
Now I have to additionally sign vboxpci.
However, this module was not installed. Where do I get it from?
You need to sign these modules because you have enabled 'secure boot'.
Try to run this script
https://github.com/Majal/maj-scripts/blob/master/vboxsign
Klaus Jantzen
2020-09-15 10:20:01 UTC
Post by Klaus Jantzen
Hi,
I am trying to run VB 16.1.14 r140239 on my laptop under Debian Buster.
After sucessfully signing vboxdrv, vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp I
installed the extension package.
Now I have to additionally sign vboxpci.
However, this module was not installed. Where do I get it from?
The reply by Eike Lantzsch showed me that I adressed  the wrong mailing
list:

I installed the VB deb-package downloaded from VixtualBox. That's why I
mentioned this strange release number.

Thank you all for trying to help me.
--
K.D.J.

Tel.: +49-{0}7034-929651
l***@tuta.io
2020-09-20 19:40:01 UTC
Hi Klaus/all,

So is everything alright now?

By the way, why do you think you have to sign vboxpci as well?
You certainly need to sign vboxdrv if you have enabled Secure Boot, probably vboxnetadp & vboxnetflt, but not necessarily vboxpci...
From what I saw, Virtualbox setup scripts are designed to detect if you have installed vboxpci and so need to sign it. Output is customized. Is it what you get?
By the way, I'm not sure to understand everything myself...

I have SB enabled and got the message "vboxdrv.sh: You must sign these kernel modules before using VirtualBox: vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp" recently.

So I followed https://gist.github.com/reillysiemens/ac6bea1e6c7684d62f544bd79b2182a4 (+ comments below to adjust the script appropriately for Debian 10).
Now "systemctl restart vboxdrv" works (loaded & active) and there is no fail error in journalctl (before that, I got "Failed to start VirtualBox Linux kernel module").

However, I still get the message "vboxdrv.sh: You must sign these kernel modules before using VirtualBox: vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp" in journalctl (!)

A manual "/sbin/vboxconfig" is replacing my signed modules /lib/modules/5.4.0-0.bpo.2-amd64/misc/{vboxdrv,vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt}.ko with unsigned ones causing "modprobe vboxdrv" to fail ("Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted").

I don't have a VM setup yet. Am I supposed to get errors when I would launch one VM because of my unsigned modules supposedly? In the end, are my modules signed (hexdump tells me they are) or unsigned (see journalctl)? Maybe I didn't sign the appropriate ones?

Thanks in advance :)
Best regards,
l0f4r0