systemd intermittent startup
Zenaan Harkness
2012-11-19 04:10:03 UTC
Is this the best place for systemd assistance?

First, systemd worked.
Now it hangs on bootup, with the following messages:
systemd-fsck[249]: /dev/sda5: clean, ...
plus one similar fsck msg.

After a minute or two it asks me for root pwd or to Ctrl-D for normal
bootup. I can get a root prompt, but normal bootup just appears to
hang again...

So I now edit grub entry and use /sbin/init to log in to post this.

Looking at syslog, I get these sorts of red-colored entries (when
viewed with vim):

Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost kernel: [ 0.045814] x2apic not enabled,
IRQ remapping init failed
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost kernel: [ 0.723077] pci0000:00: ACPI
_OSC request failed (AE_SUPPORT), returned control mask: 0x0d
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost kernel: [ 4.793539] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0:
request for firmware file 'iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode' failed.
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost kernel: [ 4.811507] [drm] MTRR allocation
failed. Graphics performance may suffer.
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost kernel: [ 7.202959] EXT4-fs (sda5):
re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving './DNSKEY/IN': 192.33.4.12#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving './NS/IN': 192.33.4.12#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving './DNSKEY/IN': 2001:500:1::803f:235#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving './NS/IN': 2001:500:1::803f:235#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving './DNSKEY/IN': 192.36.148.17#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving './NS/IN': 192.36.148.17#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving 'B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 192.33.4.12#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving 'B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 2001:500:1::803f:235#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving 'D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 2001:500:1::803f:235#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving 'C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 192.33.4.12#53
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving 'D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 192.36.148.17#53
Nov

Then there's it gets into time gap territory - of about 12s first,
then 20s, then 5s etc as seen from this point:
Nov 19 14:31:15 localhost dbus[2425]: [system] Successfully activated
service 'org.freedesktop.UPower'
Nov 19 14:31:27 localhost acpid: client 2946[0:0] has disconnected
Nov 19 14:31:46 localhost acpid: client connected from 2946[0:0]
Nov 19 14:31:46 localhost acpid: 1 client rule loaded
Nov 19 14:31:51 localhost dbus[2425]: [system] Activating service
name='org.freedesktop.UDisks' (using servicehelper)
Nov 19 14:31:51 localhost dbus[2425]: [system] Successfully activated
service 'org.freedesktop.UDisks'
Nov 19 14:32:05 localhost kernel: [ 62.696092] usb 3-1.4: new
full-speed USB device number 5 using ehci_hcd

Perhaps it's too early for systemd and its bootup time improvements
(of course, not booting up takes a lot longer :) ??

TIA
Zanaan
ed mente
2012-11-19 07:10:02 UTC
Have you tried booting from another device and fsck on your root and
boot partitions?
Zenaan Harkness
2012-11-19 07:30:02 UTC
I shall try that tonight, thanks, but didn't think it necessary since it says,
each time I try to boot, fsck appears result in "clean" (see above).
Ralf Mardorf
2012-11-19 09:00:03 UTC
Post by ed mente
Have you tried booting from another device and fsck on your root and
boot partitions?
No, no, I suspect the issue has something to do with read only or not
read only at startup. However, search the web. I don't remember exactly
this issue, but AFAIR this could be the "read only" or not "read only"
issue at startup.
Ralf Mardorf
2012-11-19 08:20:01 UTC
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
The best place to get assistance are the insane people who try to force
this into every Linux distribution, with LP leading the way.
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
Now it hangs on bootup
That's a feature of systemd.
Post by Zenaan Harkness
So I now edit grub entry and use /sbin/init to log in to post this.
That's only possible, because Debian still does support udev, policykit
etc.. Today I continue to set up Debian or Ubuntu as replacement for my
Arch Linux, because the switch to systemd ships with features like hangs
on bootup.

Don't get me wrong, systemd does work, but you shouldn't set up Linux to
your requirements when using systemd. Set up your Linux the way upstream
wants you to do this, that's the trick.

Hth,
Ralf
Zenaan Harkness
2012-11-19 08:50:01 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
The best place to get assistance are the insane people who try to force
this into every Linux distribution, with LP leading the way.
So perhaps post to the systemd-devel mailing list (I'm not a #irc
person, just mailing lists)?
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
Now it hangs on bootup
That's a feature of systemd.
:)

Thank you :) Made my day. Really thought I might have been doing
something obviously wrong...
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Don't get me wrong, systemd does work, but you shouldn't set up Linux to
your requirements when using systemd. Set up your Linux the way upstream
wants you to do this, that's the trick.
Reading about it, systemd looks shiny, so I thought I'd assist with
some bug-hunting and resolving by having a go.

The Debian page on installing systemd just says basically apt-get
install systemd. Ended up having to "rescue" my Full-Disk-Encryption
setup, which was a learning experience indeed :)
Unfortunately, I was not able to say why it didn't boot at all,
basically straight to black screen, so my "rescue" ended up being a
reinstall :(

Soldiering on, I valiently tried again. This feature of early bootup
hand gets me again, but this time I had three lines of output, as I
posted above originally, although none of the 3 lines implied any
error...

I wouldn't even mind the reinstall so much if I had have been able to
provide some useful bug report, but alas ... perhaps that's another
systemd feature?:)?

Can anyone here say they've achieved any sort of systemd joy, or am I
just asking for an ongoing world of hurt at the moment?

TIA
Zenaan
Jon Dowland
2012-11-19 09:30:01 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
The best place to get assistance are the insane people who try to force
this into every Linux distribution, with LP leading the way.
Please do not waste anyone elses times except your own replying to questions
which you cannot answer (and indeed are hostile towards).
Ralf Mardorf
2012-11-19 10:00:02 UTC
Post by Jon Dowland
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
The best place to get assistance are the insane people who try to force
this into every Linux distribution, with LP leading the way.
Please do not waste anyone elses times except your own replying to questions
which you cannot answer (and indeed are hostile towards).
Hi Jon :)

why not warn people to use something that's known for issues only?
Post by Jon Dowland
Can anyone here say they've achieved any sort of systemd joy, or am I
just asking for an ongoing world of hurt at the moment?
Regards,
Ralf
Jon Dowland
2012-11-19 11:30:02 UTC
Post by Ralf Mardorf
why not warn people to use something that's known for issues only?
It isn't known for issues only. There's a lot of heat and noise about
problems with systemd, that is true, but a substantial amount of that
heat and noise is posts like the one of yours I complained about:
information-free. The OP asked a support question about software you
don't use. Using systemd in Debian is not a default arrangement, so
the OP must have explicitly installed it and configured their system
to use it. You can then infer that they are reasonably well versed in
what it does, and that the OP is reasonably technically confident. In
fact I'd wager they knew a lot more about systemd than you do, since
they actually run it.

Sadly there's a self-reinforcing pattern on -user where a small group
of people post the majority of responses to queries. As the rate of
reply goes up, the value contained therein drops. The list as a whole
becomes less useful and hospitable to everyone else.
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Can anyone here say they've achieved any sort of systemd joy, or am I
just asking for an ongoing world of hurt at the moment?
I use it and have had few problems.
Zenaan Harkness
2012-11-19 15:30:01 UTC
Post by Jon Dowland
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Can anyone here say they've achieved any sort of systemd joy, or am I
just asking for an ongoing world of hurt at the moment?
I use it and have had few problems.
Thank you. Next question (and I really should read more now first I
guess, like the rest of LP's 18-part systemd series, but ...), anyone
know how to may be debug (get some output from) my current systemd
install (with init=/bin/systemd grub line)?

Surely a simple thing?

Is it possible to do say init='/bin/sh -e "/bin/systemd > /dev/dmesg"'
or something? I know _that_ looks ambitious, apologies in advance :)
Tom H
2012-11-19 12:50:01 UTC
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Ralf Mardorf
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
The best place to get assistance are the insane people who try to force
this into every Linux distribution, with LP leading the way.
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
Now it hangs on bootup
That's a feature of systemd.
This is a list for technical assistance so if you want to vent about a
developer, a package, a distribution, or whatever, please start a
blog.
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Post by Zenaan Harkness
So I now edit grub entry and use /sbin/init to log in to post this.
That's only possible, because Debian still does support udev, policykit
etc.. Today I continue to set up Debian or Ubuntu as replacement for my
Arch Linux, because the switch to systemd ships with features like hangs
on bootup.
Nothing but innacuracy and FUD, as usual.

As I've pointed out in another thread/post [1], you're confusing
consolekit and policykit. Policykit is a standalone
application/package. Consolekit on the other hand has been deprecated
upstream and replaced with systemd by systemd-logind. Please point to
an email (or a blog post) in which one of David Zeuthen, Lennart
Poettering, or Kay Sievers has announced that policykit was being
merged into systemd like udev.

All distributions "support udev" whether they boot via systemd or not.
The problem is that it's no longer possible for recent versions of
udev to compile it without compiling systemd too. It's silly for
systemd's developers to have done this and they're being rather
pig-headed about allowing udev to be compiled directly as a standalone
package, so perhaps you could vent about that in your first blog
post...

systemd has been the default on Fedora for 18 months and it's been
working just fine. It might have some integration problems on Arch and
Debian, especially if you migrate to systemd as you have to do on
Debian rather than install it directly as is now the default for Arch.

1. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/11/msg00608.html
Ralf Mardorf
2012-11-19 13:50:01 UTC
Post by Tom H
Nothing but innacuracy and FUD, as usual.
As I've pointed out in another thread/post [1], you're confusing
consolekit and policykit.
I'm not. Didn't you read the links?
Post by Tom H
Policykit is a standalone
application/package. Consolekit on the other hand has been deprecated
upstream and replaced with systemd by systemd-logind. Please point to
an email (or a blog post) in which one of David Zeuthen, Lennart
Poettering, or Kay Sievers has announced that policykit was being
merged into systemd like udev.
I did post a link. It's not merged, that's not the point.
Post by Tom H
All distributions "support udev" whether they boot via systemd or not.
Yes, for Arch Linux you just have to install systemd, then you get udev.
Post by Tom H
systemd has been the default on Fedora for 18 months
Yes, for Fedora. But if you run other distros and they'll force you to
switch, you'll run into issues. If somebody runs Debian and isn't forced
to switch, it should be allowed to warn, that a switch will cause issues
and some issues still aren't solvable at the moment.

Don't worry I'm tired to explain it again and again. Everybody should
switch to systemd, it's superb to have everything startup needs in one
big binary beta blob, much more sophisticated to have a big binary that
isn't ready yet for some distros.

Regards,
Ralf
Morel Bérenger
2012-11-19 14:10:02 UTC
Post by Tom H
systemd has been the default on Fedora for 18 months
Yes, for Fedora. But if you run other distros and they'll force you to
switch, you'll run into issues. If somebody runs Debian and isn't forced to
switch, it should be allowed to warn, that a switch will cause issues and
some issues still aren't solvable at the moment.
Don't worry I'm tired to explain it again and again. Everybody should
switch to systemd, it's superb to have everything startup needs in one big
binary beta blob, much more sophisticated to have a big binary that isn't
ready yet for some distros.
Regards,
Ralf
If I am not wrong, there IS such a warning if you do the switch. At least,
if you remove the package sysvinit (or whatever name) with aptitude, it
will ask you to write an entire sentance which explain that you are
breaking your system.
Note that I had this sentence with the curses interface of aptitude, and
only when trying to remove init, not when selecting systemd, but IIRC they
are in conflict, so installing one mean removing the second.

That was some months ago, since then I have switched back because I have
seen that to have some advantage it is mandatory to replace old init
scripts and I do not have enough time.

About the systemd problem, I love when I see people say that init is
perfect. I do not feel like I am able to understand what the scripts do or
to modify them. Cascading references, writer's style which differ from one
to the other, and such things are really hard to customize for a beginner.
Init is a part of the system I completely ignore how it works. I guess
that's administrator's realm...
OTOH, systemd is young and not perfect, but it seems to solve at least
that problem and is compatible with init scripts. But I agree it have
strong dependencies on things which should be optional (libcryptsetup1&4
by example.)

Systemd is not so good, but init is not perfect either.
The first is young and so have bugs, the second starts to be old and so
have workarounds.
I think users should just be able to choose to not depends on one of them
or another, but init seriously need a replacement in my humble opinion. At
least for user computers like eeepc (where starting the computer is
frequent, unlike servers)
Jon Dowland
2012-11-19 14:50:01 UTC
Hi - please trim your quotes.
Post by Morel Bérenger
If I am not wrong, there IS such a warning if you do the switch. At least,
if you remove the package sysvinit (or whatever name) with aptitude, it
will ask you to write an entire sentance which explain that you are
breaking your system.
The 'systemd' package can be co-installed with your regular init without
any such warning, and you can optionally use it by specifying init=/bin/systemd
on your kernel command line (via GRUB2 or whatever bootloader you use).

The 'systemd-sysv' package 'Conflicts' and 'Replaces' sysvinit, which is
marked as an 'Essential' package. Installing systemd-sysv will provoke the
message you are talking about, and is not recommended except for very
advanced users. For those who want to use systemd, just install 'systemd'
and reconfigure your bootloader.
Tom H
2012-11-19 17:20:01 UTC
On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM, "Morel Bérenger"
Post by Morel Bérenger
Post by Ralf Mardorf
Don't worry I'm tired to explain it again and again. Everybody should
switch to systemd, it's superb to have everything startup needs in one big
binary beta blob, much more sophisticated to have a big binary that isn't
ready yet for some distros.
If I am not wrong, there IS such a warning if you do the switch. At least,
if you remove the package sysvinit (or whatever name) with aptitude, it
will ask you to write an entire sentance which explain that you are
breaking your system.
Note that I had this sentence with the curses interface of aptitude, and
only when trying to remove init, not when selecting systemd, but IIRC they
are in conflict, so installing one mean removing the second.
After you install systemd in Debian, you have two choices.

1) Add "/lib/systemd/systemd" (or "/bin/systemd") to the kernel boot
options either permanently at boot or via the bootloader
configuration.

2) Install systemd-sysv (and get the warning about removing sysvinit
and having to type a full sentence) and have systemd take over init.
Tom H
2012-11-19 17:10:02 UTC
Post by Tom H
Policykit is a standalone
application/package. Consolekit on the other hand has been deprecated
upstream and replaced with systemd by systemd-logind. Please point to
an email (or a blog post) in which one of David Zeuthen, Lennart
Poettering, or Kay Sievers has announced that policykit was being
merged into systemd like udev.
I did post a link. It's not merged, that's not the point.
So what was the point?!
Ralf Mardorf
2012-11-19 18:00:02 UTC
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:08:37 -0500
Post by Tom H
So what was the point?!
Systemd is superb! I've nothing to add. It's completely useless to
discuss it again and again.

Regards,
Ralf
Jon Dowland
2012-11-19 14:50:02 UTC
Post by Tom H
The problem is that it's no longer possible for recent versions of
udev to compile it without compiling systemd too.
The truth is a bit more complicated. You can build just udev from the
systemd sources: "make udevd" rather than the default "make". The
developers have resisted requests to add another phony make target or
configure options to just build udev, arguing that "make udevd" works
just fine. However, I suspect it's more difficult to build all of the
udev components *and pick them out for an install* than it was before
they merged sources.

The Debian udev package is still from pre-merge and not built from
the systemd sources. I wonder what will happen post wheezy on that
front…
Tom H
2012-11-19 17:30:03 UTC
Post by Jon Dowland
Post by Tom H
The problem is that it's no longer possible for recent versions of
udev to compile it without compiling systemd too.
The truth is a bit more complicated. You can build just udev from the
systemd sources: "make udevd" rather than the default "make". The
developers have resisted requests to add another phony make target or
configure options to just build udev, arguing that "make udevd" works
just fine. However, I suspect it's more difficult to build all of the
udev components *and pick them out for an install* than it was before
they merged sources.
Thanks for the explanation (and apologies for the incorrect info). So
IIUC, you can compile udev but you need to have all the systemd
build-requires in order to build it.

I suspect that it's difficult or makes the build system more
complicated. But, IMO, the systemd developers should've made the
effort given the strong feelings that users/maintainers/developers
have about systemd in all distributions.
Post by Jon Dowland
The Debian udev package is still from pre-merge and not built from
the systemd sources. I wonder what will happen post wheezy on that
front…
Yes, wheezy's udev thankfully pre-merge. Given that there are a few
distributions that want and will want to have a standalone udev for
the lifetime of jessie, some agreement can be reached about compiling
it easily that way for the foreseeable future. The other solution
would be to fork udev, but I hope that it won't come to that.
Andrei POPESCU
2012-11-23 12:40:01 UTC
Post by Tom H
Yes, wheezy's udev thankfully pre-merge. Given that there are a few
distributions that want and will want to have a standalone udev for
the lifetime of jessie, some agreement can be reached about compiling
it easily that way for the foreseeable future. The other solution
would be to fork udev, but I hope that it won't come to that.
It has already come to that. Whether the fork will be viable is a
completely different question which only time can answer.

Kind regards,
Andrei
Jon Dowland
2012-11-19 09:50:01 UTC
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Is this the best place for systemd assistance?
For systemd-in-Debian, most likely, yes.
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
What has changed? Have you upgraded systemd or other packages? From what
version, to what version? (If you know / can figure it out)
`
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Looking at syslog, I get these sorts of red-colored entries (when
Note that vim is colouring lines that match either 'error' or 'fail', so
there may be relevant log lines that are not being coloured. As far as I
can tell none of the lines you have provided are relevant. (But you are
running a name daemon - on purpose?)
Zenaan Harkness
2012-11-19 10:30:02 UTC
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
What has changed? Have you upgraded systemd or other packages? From what
version, to what version? (If you know / can figure it out)
Can't answer that. I re-installed the (Lenovo X220) laptop about 24
hrs ago since I could not "recover" my full-disk-encryption setup
after enabling/installing systemd the first time. I installed Wheezy
using debian-wheezy-DI-b3-amd64-DVD-1.iso

However I'm pretty sure I did an apt-get dist-upgrade off my local
debian mirror - which would have been no more than 72 hrs old, prior
to installing systemd.

And, I think the only interesting things I did otherwise was
installing screen, lighttpd, systemd-gui, gnome-system-tools,
gnome-system-monitor, and pinfo. Unfortunately I was not properly
aware of the "hang on boot" feature, or I would have taken more
careful notice of exactly the steps I took. Perhaps lighttpd, which is
supposed to be systemd compatible? Perhaps gnome-system-tools?
Post by Jon Dowland
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Looking at syslog, I get these sorts of red-colored entries (when
Note that vim is colouring lines that match either 'error' or 'fail', so
Thanks.
Post by Jon Dowland
there may be relevant log lines that are not being coloured. As far as I
can tell none of the lines you have provided are relevant. (But you are
running a name daemon - on purpose?)
Oh, yes I remember that annoying dependency on bind9 where I went
"wft?" when installing something:
$ apt-cache rdepends bind9
bind9
Reverse Depends:
task-dns-server
samba4
ldap2zone
|ldap2dns
ikiwiki-hosting-dns
gadmin-bind
dnssec-tools
dlz-ldap-enum
|dhis-tools-dns
|dhis-dns-engine
|education-main-server
collectd-core
bindgraph
dnsutils
bind9utils
|autodns-dhcp

Yes, that's right, I installed samba4... Wanted to learn about it (to
upgrade my old samba3 shares conf) but haven't done any samba config
yet, including have not cp my old samba.conf ...

Zenaan
Tom H
2012-11-19 12:30:02 UTC
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
[...]
It works fine.

You might need to fsck your disk but beyond that you're encountering
delays because your NIC's firmware isn't loading so you network's not
coming up and named is acting up.
Zenaan Harkness
2012-11-19 15:10:03 UTC
Post by Tom H
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
Post by Tom H
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Nov 19 14:31:12 localhost named[2353]: error (network unreachable)
resolving 'B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET/AAAA/IN': 192.33.4.12#53
Perhaps it's too early for systemd and its bootup time improvements
(of course, not booting up takes a lot longer :) ??
It works fine.
You might need to fsck your disk but beyond that you're encountering
delays because your NIC's firmware isn't loading so you network's not
coming up and named is acting up.
Thank you.

I installed firmware-iwlwifi, now wired _and_ wireless work. Disks are fine.
Wireless I hardware switched-off.
Two wired eth networks, one inbuilt, one usb.
Same hang when I undock (no usb devices, no ethernets, just plain
laptop). Ie same named/avahi/dhclient 'hang' loop.

Default samba4 install on relatively fresh wheezy install.

So (I'm running only successfully on /sbin/init):
apt-get purge samba4
apt-get autoremove
rm /var/log/syslog # let's get really clean output!
reboot
# start with systemd
# allow to timeout
# login as root for system maintenance!
#I'm supposed to be happy at this point and say "yay"
vi /var/log/syslog
WFT?!!?! No syslog file.

BIG apologies, I have been deceived by the systemd - I assumed it
would log _something_ to syslog. No. Everything I was seeing (and
reporting on thus far) was init. systemd "hangs" before it logs
anything for me. Then _eventually_ (2 minutes, may be less?) provides
for a root login, which I gratefully accept, but still nothing, no
thing, not a thing (not even an empty syslog file) was logged.
/var/log/syslog.1 (old file) and older exist, but no /var/log/syslog.

Where to?

I'm willing to try to assist a little with shiny syslog on debian, but
this is starting to _not_ look sane, to me.

I believe I ran systemd at least once (suspending and unsuspending
over a day or so), since I tested both systemctl and systemadm
(systemd's gui).

Wish I could be more helpful...

:)
Zenaan
Michael Biebl
2012-11-19 16:20:01 UTC
Post by Zenaan Harkness
Post by Tom H
Post by Zenaan Harkness
First, systemd worked.
Post by Tom H
Post by Zenaan Harkness
[...]
I guess you have been dropped into the rescue shell.
At this point no system services (including rsyslog) are running.
So this is not surprising that there is no /var/log/syslog.

Anyway, with that little of information it is basically impossible to
say what's going wrong on your system. It even lacks basic information
like what version of Debian you are using, what version of systemd etc.
As for getting a more verbose debug log, there is plenty of
documentation which is easily found by google.
Try
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Systemd_problems
or
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging

You mentioned, that you use some sort of encryption.
Posting more details (fstab, cryptab, etc) might help.
I suspect your problem is related to that.

I'm posting this from a system where systemd works like a bliss.

Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?
Zenaan Harkness
2012-11-19 17:00:01 UTC
Post by Michael Biebl
As for getting a more verbose debug log, there is plenty of
documentation which is easily found by google.
Try
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Systemd_problems
or
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging
Yes, I'll do some reading.
Post by Michael Biebl
You mentioned, that you use some sort of encryption.
Posting more details (fstab, cryptab, etc) might help.
I suspect your problem is related to that.
No encryption - I reinstalled Wheezy a couple of days ago from wheezy
beta3 DVD install disc, without the FDE/WDE/PBE (full/whole disk
encryption (partitions really) with pre-boot environment (PBE).
tasks: xfce4-desktop, openssh-server, basic-unix-utils
systemd 44-5

fstab:
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation # about 80GB
UUID=e73a71d3-a391-40bc-9d45-55fa72f245c1 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/sda3 during installation # about 300MB
UUID=75e1d222-c9df-4d10-93de-9da4cf005158 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation # about 3GB
UUID=25d4ff20-1c78-4e1d-bd2a-2a0060e85f9a none swap sw 0 0

/etc/crypttab no longer exists in this reinstall.

Basically a simple and clean install on new partitions etc.

Again, /sbin/init boots just fine.

Anyway, I'll do some reading next round (it's 4am now), hopefully get
some output ...

Thanks
Zenaan
Tom H
2012-11-19 17:40:03 UTC
Post by Zenaan Harkness
WFT?!!?! No syslog file.
BIG apologies, I have been deceived by the systemd - I assumed it
would log _something_ to syslog. No. Everything I was seeing (and
reporting on thus far) was init. systemd "hangs" before it logs
anything for me. Then _eventually_ (2 minutes, may be less?) provides
for a root login, which I gratefully accept, but still nothing, no
thing, not a thing (not even an empty syslog file) was logged.
/var/log/syslog.1 (old file) and older exist, but no /var/log/syslog.
Where to?
I'm willing to try to assist a little with shiny syslog on debian, but
this is starting to _not_ look sane, to me.
I believe I ran systemd at least once (suspending and unsuspending
over a day or so), since I tested both systemctl and systemadm
(systemd's gui).
My systemd-debian box logs to syslog...

I can also get logs from "systemd-journalctl".

I can furthermore specifically target networking, for example, with
"systemd-journalctl _SYSTEMD_UNIT=networking.service".