qemu-kvm won't install on Bullseye. Installs qemu-system-x86 instead.
Kenneth Parker
2020-09-17 09:20:01 UTC
Hello,

I installed Mint 20 on a small Partition, and then installed Elementary-OS
under qemu-kvm, which worked, but took up much of the small space I had
allocated. So I tried to "Migrate" the Guest to a qemu-kvm on my largeri
Devuan Ascii (like Stretch), which failed, due to a back-leveled qemu-kvm.
Fair enough.

So I installed Bullseye Alpha 2. Now here's where it gets crazy. When I
try to install qemu-kvm, I get: "Note, selecting 'qemu-system-x86' instead
of qemu-kvm"

And then, when I try to Define the Guest, using the file I had created,
using "virsh dumpxml abc.xml" (on Mint), I got "cannot check QEMU binary
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64: No such file or directory"

Any insights?

Thank you,

Kenneth Parker
Thomas Pircher
2020-09-17 09:30:01 UTC
When I try to install qemu-kvm, I get: "Note, selecting
'qemu-system-x86' instead of qemu-kvm"
The 'qemu-kvm' package does no longer exist. It is a virtual package and
is being replaced by qemu-system-x86.
And then, when I try to Define the Guest, using the file I had created,
using "virsh dumpxml abc.xml" (on Mint), I got "cannot check QEMU binary
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64: No such file or directory"
That is weird. On an up-to-date bullseye installation this binary is
provided by the qemu-system-x86 package. Do you have that package
installed?

Thomas
Kenneth Parker
2020-09-17 09:40:01 UTC
Post by Thomas Pircher
When I try to install qemu-kvm, I get: "Note, selecting
'qemu-system-x86' instead of qemu-kvm"
The 'qemu-kvm' package does no longer exist. It is a virtual package and
is being replaced by qemu-system-x86.
And then, when I try to Define the Guest, using the file I had created,
using "virsh dumpxml abc.xml" (on Mint), I got "cannot check QEMU binary
/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64: No such file or directory"
That is weird. On an up-to-date bullseye installation this binary is
provided by the qemu-system-x86 package. Do you have that package
installed?
Thanks! No. So I installed qemu-system-x86, and retried. Now it told me
that the Guest is Defined.

People will, of course need to know the new Package Name.

Kenneth Parker